Monday 28 October 2013

Trying out some free pdf jersey patterns.

I have been sewing up some comfy makes last week with the onset of cooler, wilder weather.  The first one was the Mandy boat tee from Tessuti.  I have been wanting to do this one for a while as I really liked the Fave Top that I had made back in the summer.  It is a simple design of front, back and sleeves, the upper part of the sleeve being part of the body and a slash neckline.  I used this bright blue jersey which is really beautiful with 8% elastane so lovely and stretchy. Any of the fabrics I have purchased from Tessuti have been really lovely quality and wash well and keep a good shape.


It's a lovely pattern and I particularly like the slash neckline which is finished with a nice stitch detail at either side of the neck.

A bit of a batwing effect going on there.

The other pattern I tried was the Hemlock tee by Jen at Grainline which is actually very similar, just a couple of differences. The neckline is a bound crew neck and the sleeve joins further up the arm to the front and back pieces.

I was inspired by this lovely version by Miss P which was featured on the Grainline website and decided to do the dress version. (Miss P used the back pieces for both the back and front and achieved more of a slash neckline)


This lovely jersey is from +Minerva crafts and was in their clearance at £5.99 per metre and as it took less than 2 metres to make, I would call that a bargain.  It is also a good weight, very soft and looks more expensive than it cost. (I think) I added 10 inches on to the front and back pieces to make the dress. I used an enclosed binding on the neckline and just hemmed the cuffs and hem using a twin needle.  I took the sides in about 1 cm each side. Overall it was a very quick make taking a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon. I wore it yesterday and it was very comfy and cosy.  I will definitely be making a couple more of these.

Jen's versions were made with beautiful tissue weight jerseys but I am pleased to say that this thicker type jersey worked fine too.

So overall I am very pleased with these two free patterns and will definitely be using both again.  With so many different types of jersey and knit fabrics out there it would be easy to get quite different looks from them. They are both pretty casual, but I think they can be dressed up a bit too.

I see Tessuti has just released a new pattern the Lola Tee. (not a freebie) Will have to remember that one for next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment