Sunday 10 November 2013

Cosy red jersey dress.

The past week has been a pretty busy one, but I did find time for another quick knit dress, as it is getting a bit nippy now. This one is mad from this lovely ponte jersey from Trurofabrics.  It is a mix of polyester, rayon and spandex.  I'm not normally into polyester but these ponte jerseys are probably the exception as they are so easy to work with and very easy care. Also they are great for winter as they are cosy.

I used one of the 'Onion' patterns on the Maria Denmark website.  This one is the Knit Dress (2007) which is a simple knit dress with raglan sleeves and a crew neck.  It's great doing this blog and taking photos as it highlights the good and the bad.  Above is obviously the back view which highlights both a wrinkly waist area (hadn't noticed that - oops) and also slight points on my shoulder darts. (and I thought they were so smooth too) It does give you an idea of the style with the raglan sleeves, highlighted even more by my rather broad shoulders.  It was the first time I had done shoulder darts, not sure I even knew there was such a thing, if I'm honest, but they were very easy.


As well as the shoulder darts (which I think just need another press) there are front bust darts which gives a bit more shape.  The neckline (sorry I forgot to take a non-scarf photo) is a simple bound crew neck.


The other little detail of this pattern is a lovely shapely narrow sleeve with a slit on the inside sleeve.  All simple details and yet they just add that little bit extra to the overall style.

As I am broad in the shoulder/chest area I cut a 44 in the bodice, but graduated down to a about a 41 in the skirt part.  With these patterns this is easy to do and you also have to allow for seam allowances as they are not included in the pattern.  I have a few of these patterns and they are great, they seem to suit my shape, I think.  The pattern is sent in the post and you receive an email with the instructions translated in English.  Maria Denmark also has her own patterns which are pdf download patterns.  I particularly like the day to night drape top and the Birgitte top.

Also still working on my winthrop cardigan, so near the finish line. Have also made a start on the woodland stroll cape in black coating which I hope to have finished for a weekend away this coming weekend.  Seems appropriate .... here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment