Sunday 1 December 2013

Grainline Moss Skirt in 'knitted wool'

I downloaded the Grainline Moss mini skirt pattern ages ago, but had never got around to trying it out. Truth be told I wasn't sure if it would suit me plus there was also a fly front zip which I have never tried before.


I needn't have worried because Jen at Grainline studios patterns have great instructions and there was also a detailed photo tutorial of how to insert a fly front zipper which you can find here.  It's more or less the same as what's in the pattern but it helps to see photos. There is a back yoke and lovely top stitching detail, which in retrospect would have been nice in a contrasting coloured thread.  Oh well, that will be for the next one.


The fabric I used was this lovely Japanese double gauze fabric - it is called 'With Reality' and is a very soft, cosy flannel which has the appearance of a cable knit.  (It would be lovely for children's clothing too.) I used a stretch denim that I had left over from another project for the waistband and the hem band and used a Liberty poplin for the lining on the hem and the pocket linings.  I cut a size 14 which has turned out a little big, think I would cut a 12 the next time.  There will definitely be a next time as I really love this skirt. It suits my lifestyle, mostly working from home, but could easily be worn with heels too if called for.  I would say a denim in blue or red will follow in the New Year or spring.  I think I could maybe even leave the hem band off.  I am 5'6" and I think the length would be fine on me especially in the spring or summer.


So overall this is a great skirt, I see it getting quite a bit of wear, very comfortable and with nice little pockets, the back yoke, fly front and lined hem band ... all lovely details.


I got the husband involved in 'craft/diy' yesterday, as I decided I had to have a blocking board.  It consists of a large piece of plywood, with thick wadding and 'upholstered' on a lovely fabric.  Yes the 'man' cupboard does prove useful sometimes... any excuse to try out the electric staple gun.  He knew he had it for a reason!


There is no doubt it is a thing of beauty and.....


he even put a back on it.

I never even heard of 'blocking' knitted garments until I started reading blogs and I have been knitting for years, must have missed that lesson in the training.  I think a damp cloth might have been used at a push, so we will have to see the difference.  I have my finished garment pinned out, so here's hoping. Looks like the snowy weather is coming this week so I hope it dries out soon, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment