Monday 11 August 2014

Rejuvenation and relaxation.

What an amazing July that was.  We were lucky in our choice of holiday destination this year, all the way across the water to Norfolk for nearly 3 weeks.  We seemed to miss any storms or rain and had amazing weather the whole time, the only down side were the mosquitoes which were incessant with their biting.

I deliberately didn't take my computer, no knitting or sewing.  I had a complete break from everything technological which was very welcome.  I know there are the necessities that we now have to do on-line, but we are on computers so much now, I felt the need for a real break from it all.  With the weather being so good I didn't really miss knitting and so we had a very active, outdoorsey kind of holiday.  We are, however, on a cusp as a family in that our children our now teenagers and you start to wonder what does it for them!

Anyway, with relaxation and rejuvenation in mind I thought I would share my last make before we left on holiday.  They are basically track suit bottoms and they were great for travelling in.


I used the Papercut Anima pant pattern which was a quick and straightforward make.  These paper patterns are lovely, they come in a brown cardboard flat box and the pattern pieces are in brown paper with instruction that can be formed into a little booklet.  The box also has a 'coathanger' so that it can be hung up.  Cute!  The fabric I used is this marled grey jersey fabric from Clothspot.  I only discovered this company lately but anything I have got has been great,  What I particularly like is their descriptions of each fabric and clever little links to other matching fabrics.


The fabric itself is a polyester/viscose jersey with some spandex, is relatively light but has a soft cosiness to it.  I really like it (might have to get some more) and it also washes well.

As regards the pattern it is straightforward, the pants have pockets, a fairly deep elastic waist and eyelet holes for a drawstring cord.  I tried cord but it just looked a bit bulky so I settled for some fine Tessuti ribbon which works just fine.  You can opt for cuffed or non-cuffed legs, I chose non-cuffed but they turned out at that awkward not quite flattering length, so I would either add a couple of inches or choose to put the cuff on.  I think they are meant to be like ankle grazing but it doesn't quite suit me.  Overall I am pleased, this will be a pattern to return to.  I had also chosen a patterned jersey to make another pair but have chickened out so far.  Haha.

Anyway I came back to my vegetable garden which seemed to have thrived in 3 weeks (as had the weeds, of course)

Brassicas and squash thriving.
Peas & beans
First produce of the year (apart from salad)
So lots of weeding and work in the garden, but also some sewing planning,  been saving some Liberty from last autumn which really should be cut into.


I may, however, have to call it the 'Alfie' as I see Alfie was wearing a shirt in this fabric at the birth of the twins in Eastenders.  That guy's got taste!!

No comments:

Post a Comment