Monday 30 October 2017

Cosy Auden Cardigan.


So, a little selfless sewing has been happening around here.  I was delighted to get a chance to make and review this pattern by Jennifer Lauren Vintage.  It's obviously a button-up cardigan, but with the vintage look that Jennifer's designs are all about.   I thought it would suit my better half as it can look casual, but also works well as a smarter cardigan, so would suit his various needs.

 It can be made from cosy and comfortable sweatshirt knit fabrics and I decided to go all out and ordered some merino fabric from newzealandmerinoandfabrics as a special treat.  When it arrived I realised it was a bit thicker than I'd realised.  It's really a boucle knit, absolutely gorgeous, but I was slightly anxious as to how it would sew and especially with a woven neckline.
 I needn't have worried at all though as it was really easy to sew, I just used the size 90 needle and it was fine.  My husbands chest measurement is 44" so I made the XL and I think the fit turned out pretty well.  I see Jennifer has a lot of supportive tutorials for 'full tummy ' adjustment, arm and shoulder adjustments, so that is very helpful and a full sew-a-long.  The only thing about it is my husband finds the cuffs are a bit deep and also a bit wide, but he's turned them back by half, so it's not a big deal, but something to consider if the wearer likes a neater cuff.

 My husband fancied the contrast neckline and elbow patches and I used a flannel from Raystitch, again I was a bit nervous as to how it would stitch with the heavy knit, but it was fine.


In general, the cardigan stitched up fairly quickly, it's pretty straightforward, all the notches matched up beautifully and it went together very well.  The instructions were great, the only minor thing was there wasn't any guidance about stitching knit fabric or stitch sizes or tips, so might be tricky for a beginner. There might be further information on the sew-a-long about that I'm just thinking.

With Christmas on the not too distant horizon, I think the Auden would be a great make for the men in your life.  I feel it's also quite ageless in that it could suit dad's, grandads, 20 somethings alike, depending I suppose on your colours and types of fabrics.  Overall, a very clever design and lovely to sew for someone else for a change.  I know my husband is not going to be cold this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment